Lønahorgi Mountain Climb, with Wild Voss
Bestig det karakteristiske fjellet Lønahorgi via "Pionerruta". Her får du øva på klatring i taulag, handtera luftige omgivelser og gjennomføre fleire rappellar. På anmarsjen får du også oppleva flott natur og levande kulturlandskap.
Just north of Voss lies the mountain called Lønahorgi. At 1410 meters above sea level, it is not quite the highest mountain of the region. Still, no other local mountain compares to it in terms of character and scale. The easterly aspect of Lønahorgi features polished cliffs, hanging valleys and impressive views. A steep, narrow ridgeline leads toward the summit. The face below the ridgeline offer plenty of high quality rock climbing in an alpine setting. On this guided trip we climb the «Pioneer’s route», which offers enjoyable and relatively easy rock climbing.
This trip provides an excellent introduction to mountain climbing. The short distance from Voss combined with a reasonably short approach allows plenty of time to climb. The route has roughly 165 metres of climbing on sound rock in splendid surroundings. Completing the «Pioneer’s route» on the East Pillar of Lønahorgi prepares you for other climbing adventures in higher places.
From our starting point near the old farm called Staup, we follow a good path up forested hills towards the treeline. During our hike we pass the scenic mountain farms of Moldbakken and Breiming. The river Breimo, with its lovely potholes and crystal clear water, provides a refreshing break on our approach march. As we enter the hanging valley of Årdalen, we get to admire the massive slabs and melting snows of Lønahorgi’s impressive north-east face.
We head towards the base of the steep, prominent East pillar, which leads toward the summit of Lønahorgi. We cross a river and some steep mountain pastures up to the rocks where the climb starts. It is now time to rope up. The approach typically takes around 2 hours.
The route consists of 3-4 pitches (165 metres) of enjoyable and relatively easy trad climbing. A couple of passages has the Norwegian grade of 4+ (UK: S 4a, US: 5.5). Your guide takes the lead, places protection and locates the best belay stances. The route follows an obvious system of cracks and corners up to grassy ledges just below the ridgeline, at around 950 meters above sea level. The surroundings are quite impressive. At the top of the route, we enjoy a relaxing lunch, taking in the superb views.
It is possible to follow the ridgeline towards the very top of Lønahorgi (1410). The ridge is technically easy, with patches of snow. Continuing across the summit is a bit of an excursion, so we normally choose to abseil off near the route. Bolted anchors allow us to return to the base of the climb by 3-4 long abseils. Your guide makes sure the abseils are safely set up, offering instructions along the way. Normally, the climbing and the abseils takes around 5 hours total.
We return down to our cars following the same route we used on the approach. If we fancy it, we might enjoy a fresh dip in one of the potholes near the path.
Reasons to go
Climbing gives you an intense feeling of presence, flow and joy. The feeling of being high above ground, combined with the physical and mental challenges, requires your complete attention and focus. Climbing is a great way to clear your mind of everything else, and just focus on the movement and balance.
On the approach we pass through lovely nature and mountain pastures. The contrasts of the scenery and the peaceful setting contributes to a rich and rewarding experience.
Season and availability
This trip is available on request between June 15 and October 10. Send us an email or call us at +47 93484041 for bookings and inquiries. Please note that we have limited availability on this trip.
This trip is suitable for healthy, fit people with some previous mountain hiking experience. To enjoy the climb, you must have a minimum of rock climbing experience. You should not be scared of heights or exposure.
On this trip you will need the following:
• Sturdy hiking shoes or hiking boots.
• Waterproof clothing (shell layer).
• Small rucksack (20 litres).
• An extra t-shirt and an extra sweater.
• Beanie or a cap.
• A buff/scarf and a pair of gloves.
• Sun glasses and sun lotion
• Packed lunch, some snacks and a water bottle.
• Trekking poles are recommended.
• You might also bring swimwear and a towel, if you’d like cool bath on the return.
Wild Voss provides all the necessary ropes and climbing equipment, as well as other safety equipment.
Prices and terms
Mountain climbing on Lønahorgi costs NOK 5900,-. This is a fixed price for the guide.
Group size: 1-2 participants per climbing guide.
Lower age limit: 15 years.
Included in the price:
- A full day of hiking, climbing and abseiling with a sertified mountain climbing instructor.
- Coaching and instructions during the trip.
- All necessary safety equipment.
- All necessary climbing equiment (harness, shoes, helmet, belay device, slings).
Not included in the price:
Transportation to Voss ahead of the trip.
By booking this trip, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed upon our Terms of service and Risk and liability statement.
This trip covers mountain terrain subject to inclement weather. The conditions on the route will determine if the climb can be safely done. We will provide an alternative climbing excursion if conditions don’t allow for an attempt on the route.
A note on responsible travel and sustainability
At Wild Voss, we put in a continuous effort to reduce the ecological and environmental impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
• We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
• We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
• Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
• Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
• We support responsible local businesses.
• Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
• We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
• We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.
Reservations, questions or inquiries
Please call Øystein on +47 93484041 or email us at [email protected]
Mountain climbing on Lønahorgi, trip details
• Total distance: About 8 kilometres (abseil down the route) or 13 km (Lønahorgi round trip).
• Estimated total duration: 8 - 9 hours roundtrip from the car park.
• Elevation gain: 800 metres (abseils) or 1250 metres (Lønahorgi round trip).
• Trip grading: Expert – black. Climbing and abseiling in a mountain environment. Steep and rough mountain terrain. River crossings.
• Suitable for families: No. Lower age limit: 15 years.