Guided hike to Kiellandbu, with Wild Voss
Picture yourself wandering through misty mountain valleys, along bubbling creeks and across wooden bridges. In the distance, a raven sends its gloomy call across the mountains. After a steep uphill, you enter flat ground of grass and moss. The fog suddenly lifts, and in front of you lies a small cabin, spectacularly placed near the edge of a cliff. Behind it, you catch a glimpse of a narrow fjord. Near the horison: a perfectly white glacier. This is how you might imagine the trip to Kiellandbu.
We start the hike at near Hodnaberg powerplant, close to the lake called Hamlagrøvatnet. This means we are in the mountains right from the start.
At first we follow a gravel road southwards, gaining altitude. Then we exit onto a marked path that forks near Kvålsdalstjørni. We cross a sway bridge with a crystal clear river underneath, then follow the path south through Hardingaskardet. Traversing steeply up the hill towards Sveindalseggi, we can enjoy the increasingly wild scenery around us. We arrive at Kiellandbu after about 2,5 hours. Here we enjoy our lunch and marvel at the amazing view.
On the return trip we either follow the same path back to Hodnaberg, or traverse Sveindalsnuten (1065) to enjoy the views. Maybe you might fancy a swim in a cool, clear mountain lake?
Reasons to go
The trip to Kiellandbu is accessible, sees limited traffic, has varied and authentic mountain scenery and immensely beautiful views. During this trip we pass lovely rivers and mountain farms. Colourful mountain flowers accompanies us along the way, and sheep graze peacefully in the meadows. The hike is technically easy, relatively short and is suitable for families.
Season and availability
This trip can be booked daily between June 10 and October 20.
This is considered a non-technical and family-friendly hike. This trip is suitable for healthy people with some basic hiking experience.
The route follows a fairly good path marked with red T’s. Early in the season there might still be some patches of snow left in the upper sections, and you should expect a few muddy sections.
On this hike you will need the following equipment:
• Sturdy hiking shoes or hiking boots.
• Waterproof clothing (shell layer).
• Small rucksack (20 litres).
• An extra t-shirt and an extra sweater.
• Beanie or a cap.
• A buff/scarf and a pair of gloves.
• Sun glasses and sun lotion
• Some snacks and a water bottle.
• Trekking poles are recommended.
• You might also bring swimwear and a towel, if you’d like a swim on the return.
Prices and terms
The price for adults is NOK 1790 per person (minimum total price: NOK 3580,-). The price for children aged 8-14 is NOK 1190 per person. The minimum age for children is 8 years.
Group sizes: 2-12 participants. Groups of 4 or more are granted a 25% group discount.
Included in the price:
• A qualified guide during your entire trip.
• Pre-trip practical information and service.
• A light meal of locally crafted food, including drinks.
• All necessary safety equipment.
• Access to extra clothing and trekking poles free of charge.
• Transportation from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss.
Not included in the price:
Transportation to Voss ahead of the trip.
By booking this trip, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed upon our Terms of service and Risk and liability statement.
A note on responsible travel and sustainability
At Wild Voss, we put in a continuous effort to reduce the ecological and environmental impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
• We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
• We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
• Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
• Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
• We support responsible local businesses.
• Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
• We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
• We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.
Reservations, questions or inquiries
Please call Øystein on +47 93484041 or email us at [email protected] .
Kiellandbu trip details
Estimated total distance: 12 km.
Estimated total duration: 6 hours car to car, including breaks.
Total ascent: 350 meters.
Trip grading: Easy to moderate.
Family friendly: Yes, suitable for kids aged 8 and above.